Did you know that over 70% of dog people don’t know what’s in the food they give their dogs? It sounds crazy, but it’s true! We love our dogs like family, yet when it comes to their food we trust whatever we find on the shelves. The harsh reality is that many big named dog food brands do not use the best ingredients to make your pup’s food. Proper nutrition is a vital part of keeping your dog healthy and making sure they have a full life.
Let’s look at some of the shocking reasons why your dog’s food could be doing more harm than good:
1. “Quality” is relative: Pet food is regulated by the American Feed Control Officials, which tells what the food should contain, as well as the Food and Drug Administration, which chooses the quality of the ingredients. Quality is relative, so the FDA can approve ingredients that are actually dangerous for your dog!
2. Rendering Facilities: Rendering facilities are where dead animals, such as dead livestock or even expired meat, are broken down for use in other products. This meat can be anything from dead zoo animals to roadkill! Plus the meat can be SPOILED and STILL in plastic packaging. So we are basically feeding our dogs expired meat and plastic
3. Wrong ingredients: Many popular dog foods contain ingredients such as BHA, BHT, and sodium selenite. Let’s face it..none of us have any idea what these things are, so why would we feed it to our pets? Our dog’s should be eating all natural foods like fish, chicken, beef, liver, eggs, oats, quinoa, sweet potatoes, peas, and carrots. Omega-3 fatty acids, glucosamine, Vitamin C & E, and chondroitin are all key nutrients that our pets need to be healthy. It is important to give your dog real meat, instead of “meat-meal” or “meat by-products.” A lot of food also contains dangerous ingredients for pets, such as onions, grapes, garlic, corn, or avocado. Dogs need the right combination of protein, fat, moisture, fiber, and nutrients to be healthy, which depends on your dog’s age and health status. Talk to your vet to find out the best option!
Choosing the right food
Look for a brand that has:
1. Meat protein listed first
2. Whole proteins as well as a balance of nutrients
3. Responsibly sourced ingredients
4. No dangerous ingredients such as onion or garlic
Blue Buffalo is killing it in the dog food world. It balances stability for sensitive stomachs as well as provides the vitamins and minerals that dogs need such as Omega 3 and 6, Vitamin B6, B12, D3, and Folic Acid. It does not contain any artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors, as well as corn, soy, wheat, or poultry by-product meal. The first ingredient is real meat, such as de-boned chicken, as well as brown rice or barley.
Feeding your dog only the best food is a huge part of their overall health. If you think your dog needs a boost in nutrients, try adding a supplement, such as our multi-vitamin to their diet. Our chews support immune, skin & coat, energy, hip & joint function, digestion, heart, and brain. Several ingredients are also known for anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties such as organic hemp oil and colostrum. Pick some up today and give your pet a much-needed boost!